Saturday, April 20, 2013

Kindergarten Texture

So as I am reading "Three Ninja Pigs" to my own children for the umpteenth time I had an epiphany.  To show the difference between real and visual texture to the little people of my grade levels, what if I  take something very familiar and add another layer.  Not only is the book amazing, the prose, the pictures, the message, but also a great learning tool for my classroom.  So we read the book.  The kids thought it was funny.  Then we decided what each pigs houses were made out of.  In the book, pig 1's house is bamboo (a modern take on the vintage, straw)  so we used spaghetti.  Pig 2's house was a modern wood -- we used popsicle sticks and pig 3's house was a sleek concrete, we used the old fashioned brick.  I found images of the brick and placed a bunch on colored paper, which they could cut out and glue on to their paper.  We did this first.  We talked about texture being "seeing texture" or "feeling texture"--they could see the bricks, but not feel them so it was only "seeing texture."  Then we added popsicle sticks for pig 2's house and visited about it being "feeling texture" and "seeing texture." Finally, we added dry spaghetti for pig 1's house and filled in the background.  The kids loved gluing all the "feeling and seeing texture" to their artwork and thought that the story was a great version.  I did too!  Check out the pics.







Kindergarten :  Real & Visual Texture





No comments:

Post a Comment